Saturday, November 22, 2014

Education and Gaming

I wanted to both share some games I have used, and some rabbit trails I have followed.

One of the most common uses of computer games is simply that of glorified flashcards. I realize that this is not considered a high level use of computers, and would not be very interesting to students for long periods of time. However, when basic facts need to be memorized, as in learning multiplication tables, they can be useful. Some programs I have used for multiplication memorization include: the CD that comes with the School Zone workbooks (ages ago!), BigBrainz (online), and Mt. Multiplis (ipad app). I particularly like Big Brainz as it adapts the questions to put an emphasis on what the students has been struggling with. It also has great graphics which my kids appreciate. What one of my kids didn’t like was that the themes were more “boyish” and the pressure of the questions being timed. The same student likes Multiplis, which is nice in that it demonstrates how multiplication works and is less pressured. However, it doesn’t look like a program which will ensure mastery of multiplication facts, just exposure. Currently, I have an eight year old working on Mt. Multiplus and I may switch her to Big Brainz when she is done.



When researching this topic, I came across a teacher, Ananth Pai , who has used computer based programs extensively with his third grade class. Again, I realize this is considered a “lower level” use of games, but it has clearly been a way to make sure those basics get done. He has an extensive website of the games he uses, which I thought might be helpful for others. I also noticed he uses Big Brainz, as I do and games from BBC’s bite size site. BBC has a huge number of educational games which are worth checking out.

In her video, “Games in Education”, Sylvia Martinez, mentioned that a higher use of games is to teach students how to create them. My two older children have done this with Scratch, and it has been a wonderful experience. For this blog, I also looked over Gamestar Mechanic, which focuses on teaching game design without requiring programming. After looking over the teacher materials and reading reviews, I think while this might be a fun application to use, it wouldn't be educationally worth my time to have my students spend their time working on this instead of Scratch. (It sounds like some teachers like to use Gamestar Mechanic before Scratch. My only concern with this is that Gamestar Mechanic looks so flashy, and easy to use that I don’t know if that would demotivate students from learning something more difficult and less flashy). As it is, I am trying to get my two older students to spread their wings a bit beyond Scratch and learn professional programming skills. They have been working a bit on C++ with my husband, and I just ordered them "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming" by Michael Dawson (2014) , as an encouragement. It is a big jump from Scratch to another language, but fortunately they have a mentor available.

For my eight year old, Scratch may be a little too advanced. She can create pictures, sprites, stamps, and make patterns. She hasn’t figured out how to go beyond this. She has played a bit with Scratch Junior, Daisy the Dinosaur, and Cargo Bot (all ipad apps). Scratch Junior has not really interested her. Daisy the Dinosaur was fun, but she worked through it quickly. There was no room for growth. Cargo Bot is actually an interesting little app. You have to program the crane to move boxes, and there is some logic involved. I was thinking about what scaffolding would be necessary to get her more fully ready to engage in Scratch and I found a lovely set of resources at code.org. They have lesson plans starting at the Kindergartener level and looking them over I think they are very age appropriate. The only down side is that they will require the time of a mentor. It’s not something you can set the kid down at a computer and let them loose. In my case, I presented the material to my 12 year old and explained that for each lesson he helped his little sister on, they could both have a computer turn to do what they want afterwards. He’s interested.

Back to Gamestar Mechanic, they have a good point that there is more to video game creation than programming. When looking, I found a variety of (mainly) free resources, which would be helpful to a teen or adult wanting to learn more about game creation an/or gamification:

http://education-portal.com/articles/8_Free_Game_Design_and_Development_Courses_and_Resources_Online.html



Resources


"8 Free Game Design and Development Courses and Resources Online" [web page]. Retrieved from: http://education-portal.com/articles/8_Free_Game_Design_and_Development_Courses_and_Resources_Online.html

BBC Bite Size [web site]. Retrieved from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/education

Big Brainz [web site]. Retrieved from: http://www.bigbrainz.com/

Cargo Bot [web page]. Retrieved from: http://twolivesleft.com/CargoBot/

Code [web site]. Retrieved from: http://code.org/

Coursera Gamification Course [web page]. Retrieved from: https://www.coursera.org/course/gamification



Dawson, Michael (2014). Beginning C++ Through Game Programming. Boston, MA: Cenage Learning PTR

Games in Ed Resources [web site]. Retrieved from: http://gamesinedresources.wikispaces.com/home


Gamestar Mechanic [web site]. Retrieved from: https://gamestarmechanic.com/


Lynda Gamification of Learning [web page]. Retrieved from: http://www.lynda.com/Education-Higher-Education-tutorials/Gamification-Learning/173211-2.html

Mind Leap [web site]. Retrieved from: http://www.mindleaptech.com/apps/daisy-the-dinosaur/

"School Teacher Ananth Pai Brings Video Games to the Classroom" [video]. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6KCgZY-7HU&app=desktop

Scratch [web site]. Retrieved from: 
http://scratch.mit.edu/

Scratch Junior [web site]. Retrieved from: http://www.scratchjr.org/

School Zone Workbooks [web site]. Retrieved from: https://www.schoolzone.com/best-kids/workbooks

Teachly [web site]. Retrieved from: http://www.teachley.com/mt-multiplis-app.html


Team Drill Head [web site]. Retrieved from: https://sites.google.com/site/teamdrillhead/home



7 comments:

  1. Although a lot of people frown upon those "lower level games," I find huge benefit in them when I'm teaching basics of technology and computer skills to 5-year olds. I know they can't type - Google Docs are useless to them (and me.) But utilizing and getthing them used to understanding the functions of games and computers is hugely useful in kindergarten. Thanks for passing the resources along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree!

    I have to say I have warm fuzzy feelings for starfall.com. All my kids have used it at some point. Probably about how people used to think about Dick and Jane Readers, a sweet tool to help young children get from a to b in reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful blog post about this topic! I thoroughly enjoy all of your posts! You have some great links and I appreciate that you post them. I use games frequently for my students in their learning. I find that math and science especially is really learned well using this technique.

    We use code.org a great deal in the gifted classrooms. It is a good way to teach critical thinking skills. I haven't had my students create a game online but they have created board games. I will need to look at doing them using technology!

    Thanks for your great thoughts!
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to know that code.org has worked for you! I thought the material looked nice. =)

      Delete
  4. Hi Melissa,
    I still can’t believe you are looking to teach all of your children about creating video games. I don’t know much about the behind the scenes workings of a video game but I do know that I am not that interested in learning it. That one statement brings me back to this week’s assignment. Games can get anyone interested in anything as long as the game is fun. Finding the right game will get a person like me to see creating a video game in a positive light. I envy your patience in finding just the right game for each of your learners. Another thing I like is the way you got your son to help his younger sister. Motivation to get a task done comes in many forms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruth,

    I don't actually plan to do most of the teaching myself, as much as farm it out to others, or expose my kids to good materials they can use themselves. I am lucky in that my husband can tutor them in programming. My oldest tried an online class for JAVA last year, and it didn't work. Partially is didn't work because it was buggy (first time this particular class had been offered) and partially it was a bit too fast paced for where my son was at that point. (and it needed to be fast paced, as it was an AP class) I let my son drop out after a month or two as it was stressful (and he was 11). When he came across Scratch, it was refreshingly easy. The surprise at the time was that my then 9 year old also got into it. Before then, he was the kid who wanted to play with legos all day. Programming was just another form of building for him. For my girls, I don't know if their lower interest level is because they are not developmentally ready or if it just doesn't float their boat. I remember playing with LOGO and BASIC when I was about 10. I created some basic programs, both in school and on my own, and eventually decided that I intensely disliked debugging. That was the end of my programming. I think I want to get my girls to the point where they realize they can program and then let them choose how far they want to pursue it. Partially, I like the idea of my kids having skills which I know they can support themselves with down the road. (not that I care if they pick IT as a career, it's just nice to have the option). Also, I think it is more mentally stimulating to be the person making the games than just playing the games.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa,

    I liked code.org, too. I hope my son and I can get into this a little bit. As long as he likes to play indoors and out I am going to encourage it so our time sitting is limited. It is nice to know that I find it user friendly as a source. I am a little annoyed that we always have to think how something is going to be a higher level of Bloom's. I believe that is what our imagination and creativity is for. We use our brains to take it to the next level and beyond.


    Valerie

    ReplyDelete