Thursday, November 20, 2014

Deja Vu and Flipped Classrooms



Homemade-merry-go-round.jpg ‎(640 × 429 pixels, file size: 69 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)From USDA, http://www.usda.gov/oc/photo/01di1370.htm


When I first heard about flipped learning, my thought was, wait, I've done a variation of that before, but I didn't know what it was. So, a story...


About eight years ago,  I lived in Northwest Indiana, I came across a group called HS Life.This group had been started by Karen Sellers, who had moved from the Indianapolis area and wanted to re-create the dynamic opportunities for homeschoolers which she had previously known.The group started with field trips. The main requirement of membership was that each member planned a yearly field trip.One of Karen's many strengths was an insistence that instead of one person doing all of the organizational work, each person should contribute. She was very gentle and flexible in how each person contributed. This was a wonderful model which served the organization well as it expanded.

When I joined, I craved more group time and started the process of convincing parents to start a co-op. First, I started small, with art classes and holiday cerebration on a monthly or bi-weekly basis, my favorite being a Chinese New Year Celebration as a fast food play place. One of the main goals of these get togethers was simply to get used to meeting. Talking with parents, I bounced the idea of a co-op around, and one of the moms mentioned a need for more of a focus on history. We talked about the possibility of using Story of the World (2006) by Susan Bauer, as a basis for a co-op, and we put the plan into place the following year.


Some of the advantages of using Story of the World as a base text, were: the chapters are short and pleasant to read, activity guides have already been made which teachers could use when needed, and it is a four volume set which the group could take on at the rate of one volume a year.


In planning the co-op, I was juggling not just various ages, but variations within each age groups. What I decided to do was have the academic material be covered at home. I made a schedule of what topics were to be covered each week, and explained that it didn't matter how they were covered. They could do the assigned readings or different ones about the same topic. This gave parents the opportunity to differentiate as needed. One family got an audio recording which they could listen to in the car. 


Meanwhile, in the groups, parents took turns presenting hands on activities which related to the time period studied. Mock Archaeology digs, henna painting, lots of cooking, and art projects were included. We also had a guest speaker come and talk about his trip to Egypt and went on a field trip to the Oriental Institute. I had various guides for parents to plan ideas, but also gave them room to come up with their own. This gave a nice balance to hand holding those who needed it and giving freedom for those who didn't. All parents were expected to take turns leading activities.


One of the advantages of doing the hands on activities in class is that those are exactly the types of messy, demanding activities which parents often don't want to deal with at home, but still want their children to do. (Also, if you're going to go through the work of doing such an activity with your own kids, you might as well share it with others!)


Time for lunch was included which gave parents a time to socialize and brain storm. We also set up quarterly academic fairs. It was a wonderful experience, and the group has greatly expanded their offerings since I was there. I am very proud of what they have done.


While I think we had a good design, the only reason the co-op worked was because of people involved. Hollina Lischalk took over HS Life in general, while I was the main organizer for the co-op. Hollina is an engineer and used her way of thinking to re-organize the websites so they more functional. She is also a boundless source of can do attitude and good cheer. Carol Chesak had been a high school physics and math teacher before leaving to meet the needs of her two gifted kiddos. (One of which is going to college next year, sigh...) She is brilliant, sweet, pragmatic, and a little hesitant about getting in over head. In consultation with her, we decided to divide the group into two basic age groups. She was the main teacher/ organizer for the older group and I took on the younger group. She also took over the organization as a whole after Holli and I moved on and has proven an excellent leader. Close at her side was Christine Maloney, who loves creative projects, gardening, and cooking. She also knows how to get kids to clean. By my side was Holli, helping my with the littles. We also had other wonderful parents involved, each with their particular gifts.


Some clear differences exist between what I experienced and what flipped learning is considered now. One difference is that my experience did not necessarily involve technology, although it easily could now as there are so many resources online available. The spirit of flipped learning is the same I think whether the material is covered in a low tech or a high tech way. (There was some tech involved as there was a yahoo group set up specifically for families to work together on the days they were not at the co-op). The other difference is simply the degree of parent involvement outside of the classroom. Because we had this, the material was differentiated for each child and there was an adult keeping the students on task at home. These were both positives, and I think a teacher working with younger children would definitely benefit from getting the parents involved. For older students it would be fairly easy for teachers to set up something similar to what we did, if they created an online list of various resources which students could choose from to study each topic.


One thing we missed is that we were teaching history appreciation more than history thinking. This could be fixed easily though, by integrating appropriate projects into class time which helped develop historical thinking. One of my favorite books right now in developing historical thinking is simply Thinking Like a Historian: Rethinking History Instruction (2008) by Nicki Mandell and Bobbie Malone.


OK, now that I've told my story, I can share what I learned from twitter. This is the first time I have used it, as I use my cell phone as little as possible. It's nice to see that it can be accessed from a computer. I set up an account, made my first tweet to no one. Unfortunately, I missed the live chat due to a dentist appointment (no cavities, yay!) Afterwards, I decided to look at:  

Here is this week's storify for on Flipping the Classroom with the wonderful Dr Dave Smith

I feel both annoyed by the shortness of the tweets which don't give me a clue about whether they are worth investigating and the length of the storify I just mentioned, which is 587 tweets long.

It does contain interesting leads, such as...

http://www.rsc.org/Education/EiC/issues/2013september/flipped-classroom-inverting-lectures.asp


tweeted from Anna Wood: http://learningfrome-learning.blogspot.com/2014/05/flipping-pedagogy-its-not-just-about-in.html



Once we get to the main part of the discussion, people share that flipping gives them time to do meaningful activities (which involve active rather than passive learning) in the classroom.
Anna Wood mentioned that she used peer instruction. Will Haywood says he uses flipping to make sure than only the students who need it are required to cover particular content.

I like Sam Lancaster's advice later on, "Don't flip because it's trendy. Flip because lecturing doesn't work and you need time for something that might. "

He also explains that an easy way to flip is to record your lectures one year and use them in a flip the next.

From both my own experiences and those of the chat, I think the biggest challenges to flipping are preparation (which just takes work) and getting everyone on board. Flipping doesn't work if students won't actually do the work before class. However the strength of flipping is that it gives an opportunity for students to own their learning (and ideally differentiate) and have a rich class experience with peers.



References


Bauer, Susan (2006). Story of the World. Charles City, Virginia: Peace Hill Press. 

Flip Class Twitter Page [web page]. Retrieved from: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23flipclass&src=typd

HS Life [web page]: http://www.hslife.org/

HS Life Co-op [web page]. Retrieved from: http://www.hslife.org/?page_id=15

Mandell, Nicki & Malone, Bobbie (2008). Thinking Like a Historian: Rethinking History Instruction. WI: Wisconsin Historical Society.


The Oriental Institute [web page]. Retrieved from: https://oi.uchicago.edu/

USADA, Homemade-merry-go-round.jpg ‎[picture], Retrieved from: http://www.usda.gov/oc/photo/01di1370.htm


7 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa:

    Wow! I commend you on your effort to initiate such a wonderful program for the kids and parents. Reading through your story, it sounded like a lot of fun but in the back of my mind, I was thinking about how much work must go into it as well. However, it seems as though you came up with a very systematic way of working it with everyone contributing. I’m still not sure if I completely grasp everything that went into it but it seems like it was beneficial for kids and fun for parents as well! As much as I loved school as a child, I loved field trips; who doesn’t? It gives you the opportunity to continue learning in an environment outside of which you are continually stuck. I enjoyed the freedom and change of scenery so I can imagine that your idea of traveling to restaurants, for example, was well received. I truly applaud all of the work you and your colleagues did to make that work and work well!

    I really like the quote you pulled from Sam Lancaster about flipping because it might work for you, not because it’s trendy. I mentioned in my post how so many different trends are popular one day and then unpopular the next. It’s frustrating to me how easily teachers will try to integrate these new fads without sitting down and truly trying to figure out how or if it will work best for their students. I think having that ability to be unafraid to try something new is great but our students are the lab rats. If something isn’t working and flipping is the right choice, by all means, try it. But I agree with Mr. Lancaster, don’t do it because it’s trendy. Do it because something you’re doing isn’t working and flipping might work.

    Thanks for sharing! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It was work, but I didn't have a day "job" at the time, so this was my contribution to society and it helped build a community for my kids. Almost 10 years later and 2 more kids of my own, and I have less energy for this type of thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you were what you were doing was really neat. I love that a group of parents was getting together to share learning experiences with the kids. I think that the kids get more out of it when the parents are involved.

    As far as looking back at the learning experience and thinking that you could have made it better by having it be more history thinking rather than appreciation, isn't there room for both? There needs to be a balance only because we will find fault with the past, so we need to find the beauty in it as well.

    I don't know that all flipping needs to be video based. I like the idea of finding something that students can share with parents as a way to gain interest and connection to a topic. I wonder if some interview with parents or grandparents can be fit into an up coming topic in my room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris-

    I absolutely think that history appreciation and historical thinking can both be presented in the class. I also think helping young children develop a love for history and a basic knowledge base is just fine for starting out. (meaning it's OK I missed some things at the time) More nuanced thinking can come later.

    The idea of interviewing relatives is great, especially it would help kids get that history is something real for them and their family, not just something you read about in a book.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts! -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa,

    First thank you for saying this:

    I feel both annoyed by the shortness of the tweets which don't give me a clue about whether they are worth investigating and the length of the storify I just mentioned, which is 587 tweets long.

    Preaching to the choir here. I do not know how I would learn so much from tweets this week without your roundup. You are smart and busy which has been my experience with homeschoolers I know and respect well but you take it to another level.

    You have many areas of expertise. The co op sounds awesome and groundbreaking. My experience collaborating with other parents is limited to colleagues and church friends. Being a single parent makes it more limited. I try to keep my life and teaching separate but mostly I have no life that does not involve being the art teacher or a online grad student. I think I used to know how to socialize. I do with four year olds. "Ms. York, I gotta tell you something." They do all the talking and will talk over you. Then say, "Are you listening?" as if I could do anything else. I should write a book about all those magic moments.

    When I finish EDIM I will come back to your post and read some of your book selections. Do you have an online book club? In a rural area, I miss having a writing group, book club, and even doing crafts with others. In regards to history appreciation or historical thinking, I will need a tutor. Let me know when your class meets.

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie,

      I don't have a book club, but I get plenty of ideas from yahoo groups & blogs. There are a ton of curriculum choices out there, but what I prefer to actual curriculum is finding 1.) awesome materials that are naturally engaging to children (in which case I don't have to "teach" anything). Really well written non fiction will fall into this category, as children will want to read it and soak up the information. 2.) material that tells me what is important for me to teach, in content, skills, and styles of thinking. If I have that information, I don't need a pre-purchased curriculum and can tailor lessons to my kids, adjusting as I go. I did find a couple online book clubs for you if you're interested: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/107733996543672655358 is for educators and https://plus.google.com/u/0/+Googlehangoutsbookclub/posts is for everyone.

      I also just started one at: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/103341001598936786995

      For now we could just start sharing favorite books and have actual live meetings down the road when less busy. -Melissa

      p.s. I don't get to socialize much either. Life gets busier as we get older!

      Delete
  6. I'm blushing Valerie, thank you! We could certainly start a group, I'll think about it. Any idea of what format to use? I'm used to yahoo groups, and like them, but they're not the "in" thing now, and managing different platforms can be annoying. I'm thinking either facebook or Google groups? At this point I would lean toward Google groups, but am open to ideas... Thoughts? I could set something up fairly easily. -melissa

    ReplyDelete