Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Fractal Prezi


What I liked about the Fractal Prezi is that is gave me a chance to bring in various material which my students can explore on their own. In this particular case, I was more focused on developing a disciplined mind, giving students a chance to explore a topic. I tried to include resources which I thought would be helpful to not just learn the topic at hand, but might inspire exploration into other topics (such as TedX, and Vi Hart). I also included some easier material which would be more assessable to students, all the way up to material from university math departments. For an intermediate or advanced student, using materials from such a department can also start to make the university a familiar place, and help students envision their future participation in academic life. Lastly, I had a video which connected a math topic to the natural world, hopefully increasing both understanding and a sense of wonder to the world around students.
            At this point, I wasn’t focused on teaching synthesis, although a great way to do that would be to have the student create a rich, interdisciplinary, project. My oldest son and I are planning such a project. Much of this plan has nothing to do with technology. He wants to raise money to have a well built in a poorer country. However, to accomplish his goal, I am having him study several things: the issues around needing clean water, how to judge the efficiency of a charity in accomplishing its goals, and details from organizations in how they actually go about building wells. He then is planning on giving a presentation and holding a fundraiser. Again, part of that fundraiser will be low tech, such as selling things he has knitted and simply talking to people. But, part of that fundraiser will involve technology, as he can take what he has learned and create an online format to share what he has learned and even collect money. This is an expansive enough project that he will be required the take information from different sources and synthesis it. Creating an online component of his presentation will also give him a chance to reflect on the information he has gathered.




For more information about the concepts of disciplined and synthesizing minds, see:

Gardner, Howard (2008). 5 minds for the future. Boston, MA: Harvard Business Press.


No comments:

Post a Comment